Tuesday, September 13, 2016
EYE on the #World - "Teacher Seeks Pupil" - Ishmael
Without Gorilla Will There be Hope For ...?
Today’s IUCN Red List update also reports the decline of the Plains Zebra due to illegal hunting, and the growing extinction threat to Hawaiian plants posed by invasive species. Thirty eight of the 415 endemic Hawaiian plant species assessed for this update are listed as Extinct and four other species have been listed as Extinct in the Wild, meaning they only occur in cultivation.
The IUCN Red List now includes 82,954 species of which 23,928 are threatened with extinction.
Mammals threatened by illegal hunting
The Eastern Gorilla (Gorilla beringei) – which is made up of two subspecies - has moved from Endangered to Critically Endangered due to a devastating population decline of more than 70% in 20 years. Its population is now estimated to be fewer than 5,000. Grauer’s Gorilla (G. b. graueri), one subspecies of Eastern Gorilla – has lost 77% of its population since 1994, declining from 16,900 individuals to just 3,800 in 2015.
Posted by Unknown at 7:15:00 PM
- US Military Views #Climate Change As Serious Secur...
- Supra #Trade Deals Undermine National And Individu...
- EYE on the #World - "Teacher Seeks Pupil" - Ishma...
- Will Rising #GDP Per Capita Increase Your #Happy P...
- Growing Concern 6th Mass #Extinction Well Underway...
- Earth's Future At Risk As Great Apes Face Extincti...
- WARNING: Renewable Energy Limited Solution To Futu...
- MIT Traces Ocean #Acidification To Human Activity
- Our Way Of Life Cannot Survive Overpopulation
- EYE on the World - "Intergalactic Fire Sale"
- Coastal Flooding From Climate Is Here Today
- Elephants Are Disappearing At Accelerated Rate
- Lives At Risk: No Urban Disaster Plans For Climate...
- ▼ September (13)
- ► 2015 (100)
- ► 2013 (124)